Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday Morning With The Dictators

The other day my friend Bret was playing me a recording from one his many cover band gigs, and a song came on that just leapt out at me. It was a nice gritty, punky rocker that sprouted hooks immediately, and I had to know whose song it was. “It’s The Dictators,” he answered. I had never heard of them, but I went home that evening and did a little digging.

Turns out they were one of the proto-punk bands in NYC back in the early 1970s, led by frontman Handsome Dick Manitoba. Though they were probably more skilled technically than other bands out there,
The Dictators never hit it big, recording a few albums, and even losing a bassist to Twisted Sister. There have been reunions over the years, including one in 2008 (above).

Anyway, here’s that track - The Dictators' recording, of course - in its punky, Ramones-ey, power chordy glory. Just try not to sing along on that chorus.


MP3: Stay With MeThe Dictators

Photo Credit: Sarean.com / Flickr

No comments: