Saturday, July 10, 2010

Getting Funkadelic

I never had given the whole Funkadelic/Parliament thing much thought before. Sure, I knew the “We Got the Funk” vibe, but that was about it. However, after seeing a DJ spin some old-school soul and R&B 45s with some cool drum breaks, I got to wondering if any of them were from the George Clinton tree.

So I checked out a few
Funkadelic tunes, and I discovered some amazing solo guitar work coming down from the Mothership. I had no idea! Their first lead guitarist, Eddie Hazel, could tear the roof off the place. Check out his absolutely scorching leadwork on the funky “Get Off Your Ass and Jam,” as well as his psychedelic mind-blowing solo that is “Maggot Brain.” Hearing this stuff for the first time absolutely made my week.

MP3: Get Off Your Ass And JamFunkadelic

No comments: